Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WEB-BASED EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES

In order to effectively compete with all of the extra curricular technological advances for today's generation and video "gamers", unequivocally, collectively, and collaboratively, both the designers of the educational technology and the educators in our classrooms need to make certain the software applications/resources are of the highest quality.

I presume we all agree, educational technology is essential in today's classroom settings. Not only in terms of amplifying one's teaching method, but also in assuring the aggregate learning process [utilizing all effective resources] is maximized.

In reviewing the various websites and videos for modules 5 and 6, being tactful, some of the educational resources were better than others. In order to effectively meet the needs of our students, careful analysis and consideration must be used in choosing your resource(s). Although all met the consistent theme of challenging our students at an age appropriate level, some lacked the graphics, hooks, "bells and whistles" to keep our students engaged.

It is not my intention to come across as overly critical, but rather as someone looking to offer some constructive criticism, and in a small way, the hopes developing a consensus for creating the best educational resources for all of our learners.

I would imagine that when educational software is designed, it is targeted to the masses. Based upon my limited solicited feedback in the school district I reside, I hope actionable steps are being instituted in making certain state mandated standards are met. Otherwise, resources that may be effective in fostering learning will "fall by the waist-side"!

As a side bar, because I believe to some degree they are representative of today's learners, I tested some of the sites on my sons [6th and 10th graders].


Firstly, let me make clear, I fully appreciate that "checks and balances" are necessary, and also there are marketing sales/goals designers have to consider. But in my observation, I found that sites that required extensive logins, passwords, personal information, and so, discouraged their otherwise curious nature. I guess my point is, if we expect our students to proactively/independently access and explore educational resources, we need to somehow minimize some of the pain-staking login steps.

4 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Thanks for your input on this topic.

    You explained, "It is not my intention to come across as overly critical, but rather as someone looking to offer some constructive criticism, and in a small way, the hopes developing a consensus for creating the best educational resources for all of our learners."

    What criticisms did you find? Which pieces of technology do you recommend and which ones do you not recommend?

    Thanks again for your contributions to this class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some instances, the graphics were of very poor quality. Not to single out one resource in particular, but for example, I thought "Knowledge Box" was not up to par.

    It was, in my assessment, too simplistic, not very entertaining for early learners, had a weak story line, plus the software appears to have unresolved bugs in it [jumpy/frozen sessions]. If we're looking to compete with other technologies, educational software has to have the all important "hooks" - This software did not.

    Also, I was not too fond of the closing commentary in "RocketReaderKids". The speaker was not convincing at all - There was no real passion behind his testimony, at least in my opinion. In essence, I was not convinced. As a matter of fact, my sons laughed out loud [not in a good way] at his entire closing presentation! So the message was lost.

    "Why Teachers Use SchoolTube" had some good points, but the presentation was just way too short.

    On a more positive assessment, I was really impressed with:

    1.] "Puzzlemaker"
    2.] "Unitedstreaming"

    Additionally, "Brainpop" [putting aside the graphic] and "PersuadeStar" were pretty good, but the login processes + requested personal information were somewhat discouraging.

    I hope this helps [constructively].

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ron.

    In response to the Knowledge Box assessment, you stated, "It was, in my assessment, too simplistic, not very entertaining for early learners, had a weak story line, plus the software appears to have unresolved bugs in it [jumpy/frozen sessions]. If we're looking to compete with other technologies, educational software has to have the all important "hooks" - This software did not."

    I wish you could see the "paid" version of the program. I used it in my old school district and it was/is amazing. It is an individualized piece of software that can be used for a variety of reasons. I used it as a whole class presentation tool or for independent practice.

    If you are interested, take a look at this page http://www.knowledgebox.com/index2.htm

    As usual, a terrific posting!

    ReplyDelete