Monday, March 30, 2009

SCHOOL WEB PAGES

Quite frankly, school web pages are indispensable tools/sources to keep abreast of a school's mission statement, policies, dress code if applicable, faculty [and any changes], AM/PM programs and so on...

I have a son that attends Ronald E. McNair High School
http://www.njboe.org/ and a son that attends Soaring Heights Charter School http://www.soaringheightscharterschool.com/. I often access the sites to keep track of the schools' upcoming activities/events, PTA meetings, marking periods, any school closing and/or half day schedules, as well as monitoring the annual mandated state tests.

To assure I have as much available information as possible, as I prepare to support my oldest son's decision on his college choice, lately, I have been accessing/exploring McNair's School Web Page. There's some useful information on college planning.

Now that I'm on the topic of college planning, which ties into Dr. Luongo's [March 30th] blog on "Campus Compare", I came across an awesome site
http://www.collegeclicktv.com/ The sites provides access to key stats to over 2,000 colleges, videos from over 200 campuses and over 20,000 interviews from students, professors, staff, faculty and local merchants. The site also has a "College Comparison" feature. I urge you to check it out!

Back to the original topic. In essence, school web pages are just wonderful tools you can utilize in taking a more active role in your learner's education.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting Posting and so true!

    I think with everything there are pros and cons. School web sites can be very helpful as long as they are constently updated, otherwise they can be useless and have no point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent the past 18 months in an exhaustive search with my daughter trying to find a college that would be a perfect match for her. While there are plenty of sources out there with information on all colleges, the two website you have addressed-- the campus compare and college click tv are unreal! I cant tell you that amount of time and aggravation these two sites would have saved us. Im sure most of you are a ways away from sending kids off to college, but take it from me, these two sites are a great place to start when it comes time. Thanks big Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with Christina! So long as the websites are kept updated, they can be very useful and effective with communicating with parents - much like universities and colleges. However, if they are started at the beginning of the year and not maintained, it doesnt make much sense to have one at all.

    Ron, I am glad you have districts that maintain their websites. Im sure that your life is assisted with the information provided on these websites!

    Thanks for your post, Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How would you suggest keeping these sites updated?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can get time consuming to keep these websites updated. People can be hired to do so. Of course, that lends itself to budget concerns. Or, asking a teacher to do it and compensate with time to do the tasks. For example, rather than a "study hall" or "cafeteria duty", provide a period for the work to get done. I am thinking, however, in terms for the older grades (i.e. middle school and high school.) I am not sure how this would work in the elementary schools. Perhaps, the computer teacher can be ask to do it.

    Just some thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete