Sunday, April 12, 2009

VIDEOS

Let me begin by saying, I think visuals in general have a tendency to better capture one's attention, when compared to print media.

Preferentially speaking, visuals definitely work better for me. I find that when reading documents in print [particularly lengthy ones and those that have no real appeal to me], I sometimes find myself losing interest, which leads to missing the message, which leads to going back and re-reading what I just read, which leads to a not efficient use of my time.

Of course with everything, the production quality and content of some videos are better than others, but again overall, videos have a tendency of quickly getting to the point in an often both entertaining and informative manner.

In addressing the videos in modules 8 and 9, I thought they all were very good - they were succinct, the points were clear, some were funny, some were serious, and they all had messages which directly relate to some of today's' educational and social issues.

The videos "Don't Believe Everything You Hear Online" and "Social Networking Tips" were spot on in addressing my on-going concern for my sons' use of: YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, Twitter... I now have them [the two videos] permanently archived for a constant reminder of those all important guidelines to follow.

"Introducing The Book" was just down-right funny. I thought it was just an excellent take of how most of us have an initial fear when new technologies are introduced [in most settings]. Which leads to the rhetorical question, why do people fear new ways of doing things? It's the fear of change itself.
Most of us tend to become very comfortable with normal routines. From my perspective, I think change is good [particularly if it's addressing efficiency]. Making that argument, if we want to minimize/erase fear, perhaps we need to do a better job in introducing change.
There's a good movie/book I suggest you take a look at on the subject of change:
http://www.whomovedmycheese.com/Movie.html

"Special Education and Social Networking" demonstrated a wonderful inclusive program for the learning disabled. However, I could not help but think, if these students were encouraged to explore new technologies or social networking independently [not sure if this is a practice in education?], they may be extremely vulnerable to deceitful people/practices. So, I'm not sure independent learning should be encouraged in this case?

2 comments:

  1. You suggested, "There's a good movie/book I suggest you take a look at on the subject of change:
    http://www.whomovedmycheese.com/Movie.html"

    Thanks! I plan on examining this video/book soon.

    As always, your blog posting was interesting and insightful.

    Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ron for the website links, they are really interesting!
    I also feel more comfortable with videos than print media in understanding most complicated and lenghthy works:-)

    ReplyDelete